Detectives have intensified the hunt for individuals suspected of organising and participating in the violent disruptions that marred the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay on August 16, 2026.
Preliminary investigations have identified several individuals believed to have played key roles in orchestrating and executing the violence during the political rally.
Police say they are pursuing credible leads to identify and apprehend 25 suspects believed to be connected to the chaos.
The investigations have also uncovered what detectives describe as a broader network of suspected hired youths and repeat offenders who were allegedly mobilised to instigate violence, intimidate members of the public and disrupt peaceful political activities.
So far, 22 suspects have been presented in court, where detectives were granted custodial orders to allow them more time to complete investigations.
The police have vowed to pursue all leads to identify, arrest and bring to justice individuals suspected of organising, financing or participating in acts of violence and threatening public order.
The National Police Service (NPS) has cautioned members of the public against allowing themselves to be recruited, hired or manipulated into political violence.
The Service said political differences should not be used as a justification for chaos, destruction of property or intimidation of fellow citizens.
“Those who mobilise, finance or participate in violence will be dealt with in accordance with the law,” the NPS said.
The investigations come amid heightened political activity ahead of the 2027 General Election, with police warning political actors and their supporters against using organised groups to disrupt rival political gatherings or intimidate opponents.
Detectives are expected to continue interrogating suspects and pursuing additional leads as they seek to establish the full extent of the alleged mobilisation and identify other individuals who may have been involved in the Homa Bay violence.
