A vehicle attached to the Deputy President Kindiki’s communications team was attacked and vandalised by rioters in Embu Town on Monday morning as the team travelled to Tharaka Nithi on official duties.
The incident occurred at around 10am along the Embu-Meru Highway near the old stadium within Embu Town.
The team was travelling in a Toyota Fortuner assigned to the Deputy President when the attackers allegedly descended on the vehicle and hurled stones at it. The attackers also damaged both the front and rear windscreens.
Those in the vehicle included videographers Daniel Mungai and David Mwenda, camera operator Phoebe Okari, their driver and a bodyguard. They all escaped unhurt.
During the chaos, the attackers reportedly stole a bag belonging to one of the victims. The bag contained camera batteries, a camera charger and personal clothing items.
No injuries were reported during the incident, and police are investigating the attack.
The incident happened during ongoing protests against high fuel cost.
Elsewhere, at least four people were killed while more than 30 others sustained injuries during the unrest.
At least four vehicles were burnt, others damaged and property looted in the chaos. The strike continued on Tuesday with public transport players withdrawing their services.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen accused political actors of hijacking protests over rising fuel prices. He said criminal gangs were mobilized to spread violence, loot property, and intimidate government supporters.
Murkomen said the government respected the constitutional right to protest. He further condemned what he described as organized lawlessness that disrupted transport and businesses across the country.
He addressed the press at his office in Nairobi.
He linked the unrest to the global fuel crisis triggered by the ongoing conflict involving the US, Israel, and Iran, saying the closure of the Strait of Hormuz had sharply increased shipping and insurance costs, leading to higher fuel prices locally.
“Looting, violence, blocking roads, and vandalizing public and private property can in no way bring down the prices,” Murkomen said.
Murkomen, however, claimed the protests had been infiltrated by “rogue politicians” sponsoring criminal activities targeting government projects and leaders allied to the Kenya Kwanza administration.
He cited the looting of Khetia supermarkets allegedly linked to a pro-government MP, the burning of a UDA office in Wote, Makueni County, and the torching of two trucks at the Rironi-Mau Summit road project as evidence of what he termed a coordinated campaign to spread fear.
The Interior CS also referenced the death of gospel musician Rachel Wandeto. She succumbed to injuries after an attack in Nairobi. He alleged that inflammatory political rhetoric was fueling intolerance and violence.
“We are witnessing a clear scheme where a section of the political class is making incendiary statements to fan intolerance and ethnic bigotry,” he said.
Murkomen warned that organizers of the demonstrations and those behind the violence would face the full force of the law. He added that four people were killed while more than 30 others sustained injuries during the unrest.
“It is quite unfortunate that there are politicians in this country who measure the success of opposition to the government by the number of innocent lives lost,” he said.
He further warned leaders accused of profiling Kenyans based on political affiliation that they would be held personally responsible for lives lost and property destroyed.
The CS assured the public that security agencies had been instructed to restore order. He added that security officers would also clear blocked roads and guarantee the safety of travelers and businesses.
