American rapper Cassidy will reportedly not perform at the highly anticipated Rhythm & Vybz Vol. 1 concert in Nairobi after organisers announced that communication with the US star and his team had stopped despite preparations for his appearance.
The dramatic development comes just hours before the much-anticipated event scheduled for Saturday, August 22, 2026, at Masshouse, Ngong Racecourse, where Cassidy had been billed as the international headliner alongside some of Kenya’s biggest urban music acts.

Organisers break silence on Cassidy’s absence
In a statement released by the Rhythm & Vybz team, organisers said Cassidy’s performance had been confirmed and that they had gone ahead with the preparations required for his arrival.
According to the statement, the organisers said they had fulfilled their financial obligations, booked flights and made all the necessary arrangements for the rapper’s appearance.
However, they claimed that their efforts to establish contact with Cassidy and his team eventually went unanswered.
“Despite these preparations and our continued efforts to reach Cassidy and his team, communication from them has ceased,” the organisers said.
They added that after exhausting every effort to establish contact, they had been forced to conclude that Cassidy would not be performing at Rhythm & Vybz Vol. 1.
The announcement is likely to disappoint fans who had been looking forward to seeing the veteran Philadelphia rapper make his Nairobi appearance.
Cassidy had been billed as the night’s biggest attraction
Cassidy, whose real name is Barry Adrian Reese, had been promoted as the headline act for the inaugural edition of Rhythm & Vybz.
The rapper rose to prominence through Philadelphia’s battle-rap scene before making the transition into mainstream hip-hop.
His breakthrough included the hit “Hotel”, while his 2004 debut album Split Personality reached No. 2 on the Billboard 200.
He later released the popular I’m a Hustla album in 2005.
His reputation as a battle rapper also helped establish him as one of the notable MCs of his generation, making his planned Nairobi appearance particularly significant for Kenyan hip-hop fans who grew up listening to American rap in the 2000s.
The June announcement of his Nairobi performance had generated excitement, with organisers positioning the show as a meeting point between international hip-hop and Kenya’s thriving urban music scene.
Kenyan stars remain on the lineup
Despite the setback, organisers have insisted that Rhythm & Vybz is still going ahead.
The event will feature an all-Kenyan lineup led by Scar Mkadinali, Ssaru, Njerae, Joash, Ukoo Flani and Abbas Doobeez, alongside other performers and DJs.
The event’s promotional platforms continue to describe it as a major hip-hop and R&B experience, with DJ Kace, DJ Emvy, DJ Abstract and DJ MGC among those scheduled to keep the crowd entertained.
Organisers said they remained committed to showcasing Kenyan musicians and delivering the experience that fans had paid for.
“We believe in Kenyan music, our artists and the community we have built around this event,” the statement said, adding that they were determined to put on a phenomenal show and celebrate local talent.
Confusion as some event platforms still list Cassidy
The announcement also creates an unusual situation for fans because some event listings accessed on Friday continued to advertise Cassidy as the headline performer.
The official Rhythm N Vybz website still features Cassidy prominently in its event information, while other event platforms continue to list him among the performers for the August 22 show.
The organisers’ latest statement, however, makes clear that they now consider Cassidy’s performance cancelled because they were unable to confirm his travel and appearance arrangements.
This could leave some ticket holders seeking clarification as they prepare to attend the concert.

A major test for the organisers
The development puts additional attention on the event’s organisers as they attempt to reassure fans that the concert will deliver despite losing its international headliner.
Rhythm & Vybz had been marketed as more than an ordinary concert, with organisers promising a combination of hip-hop, R&B, Kenyan urban culture and international entertainment.
The event is scheduled to take place at Masshouse at Ngong Racecourse, a venue that has increasingly hosted major entertainment events in Nairobi.
Current event listings place the concert on August 22, with activities expected to run into the night.
For fans who bought tickets primarily to see Cassidy, however, the late announcement could prove particularly frustrating.
The organisers have apologised for the inconvenience and disappointment while urging fans to focus on the Kenyan talent that will still take the stage.
With the concert only hours away, attention will now turn to whether the organisers can maintain the promised atmosphere and deliver a memorable night despite the unexpected withdrawal of one of the event’s biggest attractions.
For now, the biggest question hanging over Rhythm & Vybz is no longer whether Cassidy will perform, organisers say he will not, but how the show will unfold without the American rap veteran who was originally expected to headline it.
FOLLOW NAIROBI NEWS ON FACEBOOK
